Welcome to SALGA
The South African Local Government Association (SALGA) is an autonomous association of municipalities with its mandate derived from the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa. This mandate defines SALGA as the voice and sole representative of local government. SALGA interfaces with parliament, the National Council of Provinces (NCOP), cabinet as well as provincial legislatures.
The association is a unitary body with a membership of 278 municipalities, with its national office based in Pretoria and offices in all nine provinces. Our strength at SALGA lies in the intellectual capital we have acquired through our people over the years and our values to be Responsive, Innovative, Dynamic and Excellent underpin all that we do. Our mission to be consultative, informed, mandated, credible and accountable ensures that we remain relevant to our members and provide value as we continuously strive to be an association that is at the cutting edge of quality and sustainable services.
In line with its mandate SALGA has set out its role to:
- Represent , promote and protect the interests of local government
- Transform local government to enable it to fulfill its developmental role
- Raise the profile of local government
- Ensure full participation of women in local government
- Perform its role as an employer body
- Develop capacity within municipalities
Our role can thus be summarized into four key roles:
Advice and support – policy analysis, research and monitoring, knowledge exchange and support to members.
Representation – stakeholder engagement; lobbying on behalf of local government in relation to national policies and legislation
Act as an employer body – collective bargaining on behalf of our members; capacity building and municipal hr.
Strategic Profiling – building the profile and image of local government locally and internationally
Our role as an organization is effectively played out through various programmes and working groups. These working groups are responsible for facilitating:
- Cooperative governance between the spheres of government as directed by the National Executive Committee or the Provincial Executive Committees.
- Consultation, coordination and participative decision-making between SALGA and its members.