Local Government Performance Management Seminar Background
The appraisal of the SALGA Seminar Suite (Performance Management, Labour Law and the Talent Management Seminars) which were inaugurated in 2018, suggests that in line with the following objectives, expectations have generally been met:
- Keeping relevant municipal delegates abreast of important and topical developments in the said discipline covered by each seminar;
- Creating a platform for thought leadership, engagement, networking and sharing of best practices;
- Establishing an enabling environment for effective advocacy and constituency immersion on SALGA capacity building programmes;
- Providing a user-friendly and open reflective opportunity, that enables problems experienced at a local level to be surfaced with a view of generating mutually beneficial solutions that contribute to high performing municipalities; and
- Assessing capacity development needs of the sector in the area of human capital management and related undertakings.
As part of its strategic agenda, SALGA formulates and implements a range of leadership focused interventions aimed at enhancing the capacity of municipalities to adequately respond to the challenges facing local government. These interventions take various forms, from facilitated leadership conversations, executive coaching, training sessions, through to blended learning programmes. These interventions are implemented through the SALGA Centre for Leadership and Governance (SCLG).