South African Local Government Association (SALGA), is implementing the Municipal Leaders Media and Stakeholder Engagement Programme (MSEP) under the auspices of the SALGA Centre for Leadership and Governance (SCLG.
The programme is targeted at the Speakers of Council, Chief Whips of Council, Executive Mayors / Mayors, Deputy Executive Mayors/Deputy Mayors, and City / Municipal Managers in all municipali-ties.
This is an NQF level four (4) aligned credit bearing skills programme delivered through classroom based and simulated learning sessions over a period of three (3) consecutive days covering the fol-lowing thematic learning areas: Media and Community Relations, Stakeholder Engagement Man-agement, and Social Media principles.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OBJECTIVES:
The objectives of the MSEP are but not limited to the following:
• Apply communications principles, strategies, and processes in a leadership role
• Apply leadership skills to relationship management
• Utilise advocacy and lobbying skills to present Municipal interest in inter-governmental struc-tures and processes
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the end of the three day programme, Municipal Leaders will be able to :
• Identify appropriate media to suit their target audience
• Develop and manage mechanisms for interacting with the media
• Prepare and conduct media interviews
• Handle difficult media interviews across all platforms
• Apply the principles of social media to engage and promote local government agenda
• Identify digital tools to enhance content marketing
• Use social media tracking tools to evaluate social media effectiveness
• Understand , apply theories and principles of community relations
• Demonstrate an understanding of community, its dynamics and implications thereof
• Demonstrate knowledge, understanding and usage of communication components, tools and techniques
• Compile and implement stakeholder relationship management plans
• Evaluate the effectiveness of key stakeholders involved in a project
PROPOSED PROGRAMME ROLL OUT SCHEDULE
The programme is implemented provincially in three parallel phases.
Phase One: 23 October – 08 Nov 2017 Limpopo, Free State and North West
Phase Two: Nov 2017 - January 2018 KZN,Western Cape and Eastern Cape
Phase Three: Feb 2018 - March 2018 Mpumalanga, Northern Cape and Gauteng
To enroll, please click on the link below and fill in the enrollment form
Download the form